Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Missing

I look in on the nanny cam and you aren't there.
Oh no.  He has gone to bed before dinner, I think.
I call on the telephone.
No answer.
I call again.
No answer.

I drive to your place. The door is unlocked. I walk into your unit.  The television is on, but you aren't there.

I look everywhere, even behind the bed, even in the closet - on the chance that perhaps you collapsed somewhere.

"Dad, Dad?!  Are you here? Dad! ", I call out.

I look again at the motion detector - I see the images of you leaving at 6:15 - only 30 minutes ago.

Maybe he went to get the mail, I think, as I quickly exit the apartment, heading toward the mailbox.
But, I get there, only to find you are not there.  You are not in the lobby.
I get back on the elevator and head to the 11th floor.  I know there was a party there yesterday that you missed, as you insisted the party was today.  Maybe you were going to the party.
But the 11th floor is quiet, the party room is dark.
I return to your apartment.  You are still not there.

Where could he be, I think to myself.  This has never happened before.

Once again, I decide to hit the hallways.
I go to the exit stairwell and look inside.  You are not there.
I turn around and head back toward the elevators, walking slowly,  AND LISTENING.

I had heard some voices inside one of the units where the TV is often playing loudly.  It almost sounded like a party in there.

Again, I LISTEN.

And, there it is............the familiar sound of your voice, talking.  I move toward the door - Is he in there, I think?
A woman walks by as I try to act nonchalant, knowing I am out of place, standing outside the door of this stranger.

Again, I hear your voice.  Its moving closer, and you open the door.   I say "Oh there you are!  Do you want to come and have some dinner?" (as if it is normal to find you in the apartment of a stranger).

You say, "I couldn't get my TV channel on"

You have the television clicker in your hand.  You had gone to the neighbors seeking help with the TV .
We get back to your apartment and I realize that it is channel 2 playing.  This is not your channel.

************************

I can only now hope that the neighbor wasn't suspicious of the incompetence you displayed, and that he saw it as innocent enough, not worthy of reporting.


No comments:

Post a Comment