Sunday, February 1, 2015

Thanksgiving arrest 2012

As I write this blog I now realize that you have been arrested more than once, in the days around Thanskgiving.
Is there something about the time of year?

http://seniorfraud.blogspot.com/2015/02/arrest-as-route-to-hospitalization-2010.html
******************************************

About one week before Thanksgiving, without any notice, you depart from the senior condo and drive to the farm homestead town in rural Minnesota.
Your intention is to see the doctor there so they can give you back your drivers license.

http://seniorfraud.blogspot.com/2015/02/too-old-and-demented-to-drive.html

You are sure that they will give you anything you ask for.

I first learn of your trip when you call me from the garage, unable to get into the house, your house, the house you built. I talk you through the steps.

***************************************

The doctor calls me, informing me you gave him permission to call and get the history, since you are unable to provide your medical history or your med list.   I say, "did you notice the dialysis fistula in his arm?", as well as other pertinent history.
I tell the doctor you don't have a valid drivers license, that you recently failed the driving test.
The doctor informs me that he must call the police (since it is obvious you drove to the appointment and you would be driving again as soon as you leave the appointment).
I don't know what happened after that  -- nobody called me to inform me of anything.

************************************************

Its 3 days before Thanskgiving.  You are still alone at the farm homestead.  I call you around 7 PM only to learn that you are heading back home to the city condo tonight.  However, you are sitting at the kitchen table of distant relatives, off the beaten path, a deviation from the usual route we take between locations.  Its dark outside and you are in a strange place, driving without a license.   I don't even like to drive in the dark and I am much younger than you.
I say, "try not to get killed or kill anyone tonight Dad", and we hang up.
Exhausted, I  go to bed and sleep, not realizing that events continue to play out many miles away.

***************************

its 6:30 AM, 2 days before Thansgiving. The phone rings.  Its my aunt, your sister in law.  She tells me you are in Mankato - 90 miles away.   You called her after you couldn't reach me.

*********************************************

The jitterbug cell phone has my home phone number keyed in as well as my cell phone, office, phone.  Still, you couldn't reach me (purely due to your telephone incompetence).  The staff at the Super 8 hotel helped you get through to my aunt.

********************************************

The police found you on highway 14, driving too slow.  I am sure you were lost, having taken an alternate route, driving in the dark, at 10 PM.  They next learned the drivers license wasn't valid.  For the first time you now believe that you don't have a valid drivers license.
The police leave the car on the road and take you to the Super 8 hotel.  What else would you do with an 81 year old guy who was driving 90 miles from home at 10 PM at night?

***********************

"come and get me", you say.


"I can't just drop everything and come and get you because you are driving without a license", I say. I have a job, a schedule I need to keep, people who are depending on me to be responsible.

I didn't pick you up until Thanksgiving morning.

On the way home you agreed to put the car away for the winter.  Actually, you never drove again after this.

**********************

The stay at the Super 8 was actually like a little vacation, quite enjoyable. They had free coffee and donuts in the lobby.



The house-keeping staff entertained you.  You could easily walk next door to the Happy Chef for meals.

Who would have thought getting arrested could be so fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment