Saturday, February 7, 2015

why can't I use the microwave

"why can't I use the microwave?"  you ask me.
What you mean is that you can't seem to make it run.  You place your coffee cup inside, but when you go to press the buttons to run it, you can't make it run.

"You need to show me how to use the microwave".

****************************************
I give you a quick lesson on how to warm up a cup of coffee.  I place the cup in the microwave.
I set the time on 45 seconds.  I press start.  
This is all you need to do.

I actually don't believe you are able to choose the time anymore.  If we had a microwave that said "reheat coffee", and all you had to do was press that button , and start, it might work, but to have to enter a time, 45 seconds or even one minute, is probably beyond your current skill set.

******************************************************

an interesting part of your dementia process has been the significant impact it has had on doing things mechanically with the hands or body.  This has resulted in significant problems in specific areas of daily living
- turning the TV on and off using a remote control clicker device
- changing the TV channel 
- using the telephone (especially if not the old fashioned rotary style)
- using alarm clocks
-using electric razor

Looking back, I remember how you used to get very angry with me when you were living alone on the prairie, and you had difficulties using your computer.  That was the beginning of the end.  You don't even try to use the computer now (which is a appropriate).

**********************************************************

I don't tell you that we had turned the electricity off to the microwave when we leave you alone.  
Its interesting how you never notice at all, as each time I come and go, I am flipping the switch for the microwave on the fuse box.  I am only 6 feet away from you doing this, every day, and you never notice.


No comments:

Post a Comment