Monday, November 10, 2014

THE ROOM SMELLS LIKE SMOKE!

I arrive to the strong smell of smoke - its an almost electrical kind of smoke smell.
Where is the smoking coming from? !!!!

You walk with me to the kitchen, near the stove and microwave.
You tell me that the "ring" in the microwave is broken.



The ring in the microwave is broken?  No - -- that is not what I see.
The plate in the microwave is missing.  Where is the plate and where is the smell of smoke coming from?

You look sheepish, unable to explain.
I say "What were you doing? "  "What were you doing"?

"I was heating up my cereal", you say.  (heating up coco puffs, I think??).  The cereal bowl nearby is empty.  It doesn't make sense.

"A man from the building came - he found out that the smoke detector isn't working", you say.

"What?  A man from the building?  Did the smoke detector go off? How smoky was it in here? What time did this happen?", I say.

"No.  the smoke detector did not go off. ", you say.
Still the cause of the smoke is not clear -- what is the source of that electrical burning smell?  Where is the plate for the microwave? Its not in the garbage.  Where is it??

Ahhh..... Here it is -- inside the old empty Coco Puffs bag in the sink.  The broken microwave plate -- and what is attached to it?


Oh yes  I recognize the donut -- it  had been delivered by Meals on Wheels a week ago, remaining in its saran wrap cover, growing harder by the day, in the refrigerator.

"I had to go to the bathroom", you say.

The microwave must have been set to minutes far longer than it would take to heat a donut.
Perhaps the saran wrap cover was never removed.  It got so hot it broke the plate.

It got so hot it turned the donut to nothing but a piece of char -- stuck to the broken THICK glass microwave base plate.

What time did this happen?
It happened this morning.  Yet the room still smells so strongly of that electrical kind of smoke smell at 7 PM.
*********************************************

The room still smells like smoke almost 3 weeks later

No comments:

Post a Comment