Sunday, November 23, 2014

many calls this morning

I call you at 7 AM.  No answer.  Sleeping in, I think.
Later, I discover you are awake at 7:40 AM.  We talk on the phone, you say you do want to go to church today.
"Then I will be there to pick you up at 8 AM", I say. "That is in 15 minutes".  "Are you going to be ready?"
"Yes", you say.
I call you en route - "I am on my way" .
But, when I arrive, you are not at the door.  I wait, and then  look in through the nanny camera.
You are still  sitting in your chair.
I call again, "I am here, are you coming?".
"yes I will be right there".  I watch you slowly get out of the chair, slowly exit the apartment, then return.  You must have forgotten something.  You go back down the hallway, re-emerge, and again leave. It takes longer than expected before I see you at the building's front door.
You slowly, so slowly, amble down the sidewalk, with your arms clasped behind your back, like we might see a child do.  No rush, no worries that we are late.

You seem more confused than usual today, but quite happy, smiling, content.



*********************************************************

"I must have had 10 calls this morning", you later tell me.
"Oh really? Who called?"
"Contractors.", you tell me.
"What kind of contractors?", I ask.
"Building contractors, looking for jobs, checking on the building".

"Is there a leak here?" you mimic.

No comments:

Post a Comment