Saturday, November 29, 2014

Across the street

Across the street there is another independent senior/ over age 55 building.  You can easily see the lights of the building from your chair.
For a few months you have regularly told me about what is going on there:

A man walks out to his balcony every night.  He places a light in a specific location. Then, over the hours, he gradually moves the light across the balcony. Finally, he takes it back in.

I look at the "light" that is being "moved" across the balcony.  I see into someone's living room, with their TV in the background.  If they move , we might see the shadows of their movements.   I tell you it is only someone's living room we can see into, but you don't seem to hear or believe me.

Now, as we enter the Christmas holiday season, you have become fixated on the decorations.

"They had a team build that thing on the roof over there," you tell me.

"I think they are giving rides".

"Who are they giving rides to?", I ask.

 "The people that live there", you reply.

I crawl across the floor, trying to get a vantage point similar to what you see from you chair, what is it you see across the road?

I look and I see that several balcony's have white lights strung on the railings.  Am I seeing what you are talking about?  There is a Christmas tree, shining bright white lights,  under one string of ceiling level icicle style lights.  Is this the "ride" to which you refer?

"its just Christmas lights, dad, and a Christmas tree".

You continue to study it, "maybe", you say.


*************************************************

The next day:

You say, "I am surprised they haven't gotten press coverage on that thing".

"Its not running today".

I say, "Maybe they took the day off or are closed since it is Sunday".

**************************************************

2 days later:

"Its not there anymore.", you say.  "They had trouble with it, I think. They had to build a 2nd one, but I think they had trouble with that one too".

******************************************************************

3 days later:

"There it is!", you exclaim.

Once again, I don't see anything, except for Christmas lights  on patios, a few Christmas trees.  I keep wondering what it is that you are seeing.

**********************************

a week later:

"what does that say up there next to that machine?", you ask.  "I think there are letters and numbers"

I look and it all looks the same as before. I can't imagine how to see letters or numbers in the lines of the building and Christmas decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment