Monday, December 8, 2014

the door is open

Its 10 PM.
The room has been empty for the last hour.
Suddenly, I notice that the door is open.  Its open maybe 6 inches.
What is going on? Why is the door open?  Of course I start to worry. Did you go to get your mail and leave the door propped open like that?

Minutes later I look again and the door is open even wider.  Now I can plainly see that you have propped the step stool in the doorway, to keep it open.  You are back sitting in your chair. The TV is blaring loudly.

Its 10 PM.  The TV is too loud to have the door open at this time of night.  People will notice and complain.  We are trying to blend in, remember??

I call you, making up a story, "I think I left the door open when I left there tonight.  Can you check the door and make sure it  is locked?"

"Yes, I will", you say.  But I am watching you, and after we hang up, for a second you lean forward as if you are going to get out of the chair, but then you focus on the TV, engrossed.  Within a minute, you settle back into the chair.  Not once do you turn your head to even look at the open door.

Now what do I do?  What are you thinking??? Its after 10 PM!  I see the shadow of someone walk past the open door.  You continue to watch TV.

*************************************************************

Its a cold winter night, but not as cold as it has been recently. We put on our coats, instead of our pajamas, and we head to your place. What am I going to say?  Should I tell you there was a complaint about the door being open?  Should I tell you I forgot something?  Should I make up an eleborate story about why I am showing up after 10 PM?

No, I know that 10 PM to you is no different than 10 AM.  Keep it simple.  Get in. Get out. Shut the door.

******************************************************

"Oh -- you have the door open. What's going on? why do you have the door open?" I say.

"I forgot something", as I walk across the room and pretend to pick up the something I forgot.

"Its hot in here", you say.

"But you shouldn't have the door open.  Its late. We can hear your TV out in the hallway", I say.

"So?  I am sitting right here".

"Are you hot?  Let me let in some cooler air.  Lets turn down the heater.  Lets turn down the furnace", as I open the patio door, then turn down the knob on the space heater, and head toward the wall thermometer for the furnace.

"Who asked you?", you say.

"Ok.  Well, then I better be going.  See you. Good night", I say, as I quickly exit the room, closing the door, and locking it.

***********************************************

I barely dare to look and see if you opened it again.  Its potentially going to be a sleepless night.


No comments:

Post a Comment