Sunday, December 28, 2014

tonight you fell

You sit quietly reading, the left leg crossed over the right.  There is a knock at the door.  You stand up. The left foot is very slightly inverted.  You take a step, lifting the left leg and it as though while the left leg is still off the ground you fall to the left.   You are not hurt, but startled, lying on the floor.  Luckily, I am on the other side of the door, immediately available to help.

*****************************************

I call the Walgreens as I am en route, inquiring if they have walkers.  Yes, they have 3 varieties.  I am on my way.  I will be there in a few minutes.

********************************************************

The new walker does add some stability, you demonstrate that it helps. We practice sitting and standing several times.  Eventually, I go home, and leave you to navigate by yourself.  However, I continue to look in on the nanny cam.  The left leg is crossed over the right.  You sit quietly watching TV.  Eventually, the left leg is uncrossed.  You then lean forward, as though you are going to get up. You grab the walker, tip it on end, teetering on its front legs.  You are inspecting it.  The reading light that had been turned off 2 hours ago is turned on again. You then sit back, apparently engrossed in the TV.  This sequence of events occurs several times.

Its after 10 PM.  I call and say "uncross your leg, wait a few minutes to be sure your leg isn't asleep, and then go to bed".  You say, "OK".  We hang up.  What you do next is disappointing.  We hang up, you pick up the paper, and start to read, the left leg crossed over the right, the walker nearby, in waiting.  As  you have done so many times before, you make no attempt to follow my advice.


************************************

You finally went to bed around 2:30 AM on this night.


No comments:

Post a Comment