Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The Suit

Today you put on your good pants, a sport jacket and a tie, appearing fully dressed at 3:45 AM after only 5 hours of sleep.
Last night on your own you took a shower, an amazing feat for someone usually averse to any and all personal hygiene.  In fact, just getting you to change socks, or into a different shirt has been a struggle for months.
Is it because of the Christmas party announcement, for the party you missed yesterday?
Or did you think you are going someplace else today?
Where are you hoping to go today?

It stirs in me both a deep sadness and a deep hope, to watch you wait, and to dress up for the party........waiting.

what are we all really waiting for anyway?  what are you waiting for?
More and more I believe you are waiting to leave this earth - to be again with those you have loved the most, not with me here and now.

"We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, and redemption of our bodies.". Romans 8: 22-23.

*****************************************************************************


I think one of those talking clocks, like they make for the blind, with announcements of the time every hour, might be a good thing for you.  Why didn't I think of this before?

***************************************************************************

you wait all day, expecting something, looking so nice and clean in your good pants, nice shirt, and tie. What is it you were expecting today? Was it the party you missed yesterday? Was it a dream with expectations, hopes to meet a long lost friend, or perhaps to again see your wife?  12+ hours later, at 4:40 PM, you get up, and leave the room, re-emerging after 5 PM, wearing jeans.

I call en route.  "How was your day today?" I ask.
"Fine.  I am wearing jeans again." you tell me, without any further explanation.
When I arrive I find you in jeans.  
You never let on that you were dressed up all day today, seemingly waiting for something important. 
You never tell me what you were waiting for.

**************************************************************


"Do you ever get bored? ", I ask.

There is a long pause.  

"No", you answer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment